A 59th Medical Wing employee walks past a newly-installed stained glass display at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas, Feb. 2, 2022. The stained glass was salvaged from Wilford Hall Medical Center, the first hospital established at Lackland Air Force Base. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Tory Patterson)

Between the time when the old Wilford Hall Medical Center at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland shuttered its doors in 2011 and the new Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center officially opened June 7, 2017, the stained glass windows at the former WHMC Chapel had been collecting dust.

The 59th MDW brought them back to their former glory by arranging for the installation of stained glass salvaged from the former chapel in January 2022.

WHMC originally opened its door in 1942 and was the first hospital established at Lackland Air Force Base.

Serving more than 55,000 patients, the WHASC is now the Department of Defense’s largest outpatient ambulatory surgical center. The building features four wings, on four floors, housing more than 25 outpatient clinics and clinical services.

Comments are disabled.